Thursday, March 1, 2018

START your IMPOSSIBLE

I used to love watching the Olympics. Strength, inspiration, beauty.

But this year was harder.

I once owned a Burton snowboard and DC boots...for a week. My car broke down so I had to return them. Nevertheless, when I had an opportunity to get on a mountain, I took it. Snowboarding used to be one of my favorite hobbies. I also used to love going to high school and college games, but my FAVORITE sport to watch live was hockey! I cheered louder than most cheerleaders in any sport, but especially in hockey. (Hockey cheerleaders would probably be hilarious.)

I've given up most of my old hobbies simply because I'm limited. But, as I watched the Olympics I caught myself getting angry. I want to get back to doing those things, but my immediate thought was..."I'm disabled. I can't. I wouldn't make it a yard. The pain would be too intense."

Then I saw a commercial for Toyota. START YOUR IMPOSSIBLE




"I've outrun fear. I've outrun pain. I've outrun anger...and doubt...and self-pity. But it's not how far I've come, it's how far I'll go."

I bawled. BAWLed. He uses everything he's got to take it ONE more step. I don't struggle walking that much. But I do feel like I've moved through this past year at about that same speed.

I've accomplished a lot this past year. As in...I didn't die. I've learned to live a little more each day. But, I've avoided a lot too in attempts to keep my pain at bay. I don't feel like I've outrun fear, pain, anger, or doubt. In fact, they've taken over my body and my life. (Anger is a new one, although you wouldn't know it if I hadn't told you.)

When my friend, Rebecca, and I spoke before she died, I thought about the life she has lived. She had to fight over and over, but she chose to THRIVE. She lived DAY to DAY and really made the most of her time. She wasn't one to wallow in self-pity or live in la-la-land. She accepted struggles, took time to get through it, and then stepped up and thrived.

So, I decided that I CAN snowboard again. Why not? I may only do one slide down the bunny hill, but oh my heart, I could try! Who cares if I fall, twitch, and cry because of the pain? I'll have done it on a mountain instead of my couch. What if the most I do is buckle in my boots, fall all over before I set a foot on the powder, and have to sit down again? Hot chocolate and a fireplace with my love doesn't sound bad either!  Bring it.

Why not try a hockey game again? The cold is hard on me and I can't open my mouth wide much, but I could attempt a game. Even if I only last 10 minutes, I will have done it! Play on!

I turned 39 recently (GASP) and have one more year until I'm 40 (double GAASP). So, I've decided to do 40 things before I hit 40. Instead of stepping lightly through life, trying to avoid as much pain as possible, I can accept my pain, fear, doubts, and recent anger, and allow it all to push me to new heights. I don't want to wait until it passes or avoid as much as possible to keep only 10% of pain away. I want to be fearless amidst the pain and doubts. It will take ONE step at a time and I'll do it WITH the pain. **If you have suggestions to add to my 40 TO DO list, please let me know!!!!

40 TO DOs before 40

  1. Snowboard
  2. Visit a new state
  3. 40 days NO sugar
  4. Visit 4 friends 
  5. Travel more than 400 miles by car
  6. Take 400 pictures
  7. 40 positive posts via Facebook
  8. Memorize 4 scriptures
  9. Write 40 letters
  10. Swim
  11. Watch 40 movies
  12. Make 40 people smile
  13. Set up office
  14. Talk to 40 people on the phone (gulp)
  15. Watch 40 sunsets or sunrises
  16. Plan 40 WFPB meals
  17. Record all blessings
  18. Write 40 pages
  19. Sleep 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. 40 times
  20. Make 4 cards
  21. 4 Scrapbook pages or crafts
  22. Lose 40 pounds
  23. 40 hours at the temple
  24. 4 date nights
  25. Read at least 4 books
  26. Donate 40 things
  27. Help 4 people with something they can't do for themselves
  28. Anniversary celebration 
  29. CAMP!!!!
  30. Calligraphy
  31. Paint 4 rocks and put them in public places for others to stumble UPon (not on)
  32. Involvement with a charity or institute positive change
  33. Find 40 butterflies
  34. Appreciate changing seasons in 4 ways (fall leaves, tulip festival, snow angel, etc)
  35. Lake Day/Night
  36. Make 4 new meals
  37. Highlight the New Testament
  38. Frame and put up 4 pictures
  39. Water Aerobics
  40. Symphony

2 comments:

  1. Um, I totally loved this commercial and thought do much of you!!love your list of things to do before you are 40...I should come up with one too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete