Monday, July 28, 2014

Widow's Mite

My favorite painting of all time has been James C. Christensen's "Widow's Mite." I love the story found in Mark 12 and love this artist's perspective he shared with the world. I have thought about this trusting widow, as I'm sure many have, when I've been at an all time low, financially speaking. I have never been as low as the faithful widow, but I could relate from time to time in my own life. I remember more than a week when all I ate was corn and corn flakes and paid for everything with the change I had accumulated while attending junior college. A roommate laughed at me when I washed all my clothes in our bathroom and worked two jobs while attending school full time. A few other times I paid tithing thinking, "I have NO idea how this will turn out, but Heavenly Father, work your magic." And He did, sometimes right away and other times eventually.

When I first attended RS in Kansas, I was surprised to see this painting on the wall. I was chasing my baby to and fro, but kept thinking of how appropriate this was of my current state. I gave up my friends, family, home, career, and luxuries (like grocery shopping with reckless abandonment and weekly date nights) to be a stay-at-home mom. It was what I had always wanted to do, but learned nonetheless that it was a sacrifice in more ways than one. I felt like I gave my all, but recently we had the opportunity to give even more.

I have always been careful with money. I started saving for college and a mission when I was TEN years old! The first time I activated a credit card was when I was purchasing my first car, a used Mazda, at 25 years old and done with college. I held onto a phone, as far as it could reach, while shouting to the teller which button to push (because I wasn't allowed behind the counter). The second time I bought a car was with my hubby after his truck was ruined (the morning we moved to this home), ten years later. The Mazda financial guy was shocked because he had never seen a credit score as high as mine. 810. Maybe one other time, he said. It doesn't mean that I've always been financially blessed with tons, but I have always been a saver and not a spender. (Plus, I detest shopping like no other gal I know). On top of that, I pray about all big purchases (I know, I'm a freak). You would think with me being overly cautious with finances and trusting so much in God with things like $$mulla$$, I would have figured things out earlier in life. But, sometimes I'm slow or I forget.

There have been multiple times in my life when my testimony of tithing and prayer have been tested. I'll spare you the boring details, but sufficed to say, God works miracles.

This most recent experience has taught me even more about THE WIDOW'S MITE and PRAYER.

Money went from tight to too little. We have been blessed to have just enough because, I strongly believe, we paid tithing. But, medical bills were piling up and things started breaking down. We had plans, but they didn't quite feel right. My hubby signed up with the school for their HVAC program and we kept praying. My mom mentioned, nonchalantly, about how things really turned around financially when they paid 15% tithing, as well as my sister. I gaped at her and said something daft, like, "We are just starting out; we just bought this house. We can't afford to." She shared how they were $150 short each month before groceries. I remembered how at times in my childhood, we lived off food storage (with my mom trying to trick us with that nasty food storage milk in milk jugs) and how I rolled my eyes as I carried my cheese sandwich to school because we 'couldn't afford the luxury of lunch meat.' It wasn't until my late 20s when I stopped feeling guilty for buying the 'expensive' name brand shampoo, PANTEEN. =) ha. (seriously, though) We were always blessed with enough while I grew up, though.

My mom wasn't saying that the extra 5% opened the heavens and a tree that grew money started sprouting. Or even that 15% was a magic number. But, when you are at a 'Widow's mite' crossroad and choose to give all, blessings will shock you. My hubby and I decided to step into the extra tithing abyss and hand it all over to God. I mean, what could we lose? HAHA

Again, I'll spare you the details, but...

The week we paid extra tithing, a guy in our ward 'randomly' approached my husband telling him to apply for Union Pacific. Within a day or two, several places near here opened up for hiring. Amazing how quickly God worked. But then doubts started creeping in as we didn't hear anything for several weeks. When we fasted the following month, without telling each other what we were fasting for, it turns out that we both were thinking the same thing. Move forward, have faith. The next day we got the call about the job. Since then everything has happened quickly with lots of unanticipated events in between (main breaker blowing, so we had no electricity, what we thought was my husband's pink eye for more than a week, causing less $ and more doctor's bills, both of us not able to drive around to gather boxes to move, lawn mower breaking down, etc, etc), but we have been tremendously blessed. One friend, in particular really taught me that God is very aware of us and will take care of us. She was inspired and had impeccable timing. When I didn't think it would, or even could, work out, I have been pleasantly surprised. We are doing just fine now and I am much less worried about a MS relapse.

Since then, we've had my amazing in-laws offer to help us pack and watch our baby so we can attend the temple (he won't get vacation until 2016 and will always be on call). My best friend will also help us pack, move, and take care of our baby. A cool gal from our ward brought boxes and is going to help us pack. A dear friend is coming for several days to help us pack. I'm amazed by so much generosity. We won't have to go into tremendous debt, will be able to register our old car, and can now move quickly. We are moving to my brother-in-law's rental at a great price and will be able to afford things even if we don't end up renting our current home. I will be able to be with my family in Utah to welcome my brother from his mission in Samoa. BLESSED!

I don't share this experience to say that we have loads of faith or did a great thing. Because, really, I still struggle. BUT, I do share this to demonstrate that God works miracles and beautiful blessings into our lives when we let Him direct. My sister's experience and mother's continued wisdom helped me move forward. This will be an even bigger leap of faith, but we know it is right. I'm not naive or delirious enough to think that this will be easy. It seems like the right path tends to be uphill more often than not. But, we will grow and I can't wait for the amazing health insurance and ability to cover our needs, while also, hopefully, being able to help others as we have been helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment