Friday, August 16, 2013

BATTERY and MS analogy

Batteries have two terminals (+positive+ and -negative-). A chemical reaction occurs and an excess of electrons builds up in the anode (-). There is an imbalance and a block from the electrolyte, essentially. But, when the circuit is closed (pathway between + and -), the electrons can then travel to the cathode (+). If something like a light bulb is on that pathway, the energy powers the said device. Eventually the electrochemical process alters the chemical make up in the anode and cathode, causing a halt to the electrons (dead battery).


  

Why the science lesson? Yes, I was a teacher, but that is not my purpose today. I also don't intend to over simplify or minimize what MS is or is not. My intention is to share an analogy for understanding of this complex disease. 

Most people don't understand the TWF (Train Wreck Fatigue) associated with MS. (Among other issues associated with most MS patients). I've heard it said that MS is like a defective battery. Most people have a battery that recharges each night and an allotment of energy to use. If you exercise intensely, it make take a few days, but you recover. If you are tired after a long work day, sleep will rejuvenate and restart that battery of yours. NOT SO with MS. Our batteries have glitches and run down very quickly. Something like hauling a laundry basket down a flight of stairs, doing the dishes, and walking outside for 10 minutes is more like running a marathon to many of us. Imagine if you had to run a marathon once a week. You can imagine the pain, exhaustion, and nausea for days on end, right? Your body is stiff and while you can walk, it is a struggle and takes a great deal of focus. You are choosy with what actions you take. You may have made plans for a few days later, but recovery is taking longer than usual. You may have to hold back, call off, or settle down until you gain strength and health. 

My body with MS is similar to this on a daily basis. Some weeks are worse than others. Some weeks are BETTER than this. If I do too much, I pay for it, inevitably. Sleeping one night doesn't recharge the 'battery' as needed. I have relapse-remittance, so every time I have an exacerbation, I never get back to how I was in the beginning. I drop, like on a roller coaster, come back up, but never fully get back to where I started. My hearing, eye sight, nausea, and intestines struggle depending on how hot I got, how much stress I've taken on, or how much of my 'battery's energy' I've used. My body will shut down if I don't slow down. Each time I've experienced an exacerbation, I have to relearn what my body is capable of and what my limitations are physically.

In addition to this, the myelin surrounding my spinal cord has broken down. The myelin that surrounds our spinal cords is like the protective covering over a wire. Only the exposed ends connect where you want them. But, with MS, along the path, the protection is missing/broken down and glitches occur. 

Having MS is a curse, but also a blessing. I'm not naturally inclined to saying, "No." I tend to want to please others and never show weakness or ask for help. I still struggle with it. But, I've been forced to slow down, appreciate small things, and ask for assistance. For whatever reason, this disease is teaching me in ways I needed. Maybe we can all learn to slow down, smell the roses, and look upward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment